You are here: Home / News
October 28, 2022
CBDC hosted their 25th Annual Awards Gala for Youth Ventures on October 25th. Two Youth Ventures participants at Empower had their hard work, creativity and dedication recognized.
Abrahim Derradji-Aoüat, owner of Shoreside Soaporium (website) was awarded Excellence in Financial Management.
Kyle Budgell, owner of ProKeebz (@ProKeebz on social media) was awarded Trailblazer of the Year.
Congratulations Abrahim and Kyle!
October 24, 2022
Do you have an idea for a business in rural Newfoundland and Labrador? Already running a rural business? We would greatly value your knowledge and experience!
Empower is working to address challenges faced by business owners in rural areas of Newfoundland and Labrador. We would love to hear from entrepreneurs to better understand current challenges experienced when starting and operating a business in all areas of our beautiful province. We are especially interested in hearing from entrepreneurs from underserved or underrepresented communities. Additional support or accommodation to participate in this project is available if required.
If you would be open to sharing your experience with us, please contact Sherri Tucker at email@example.com.
This project is funded through a generous donation to Empower from the Northpine Foundation. The Northpine Foundation supports organizations that create sustainable and systemic change for underserved and underinvested groups for a healthy and resilient Canada. Empower provides supports, resources, and opportunity for persons with disabilities to make informed choices about their lives.
October 10, 2022
Join us for our annual Christmas Dinner and Dance!
Date: Friday, Dec 2, 2022
Time: 6:00pm – 11:00pm
Location: CLB Armoury, 82 Harvey Road
Tickets are $15.00 for Members; Non-Members are $25.00.
To purchase tickets, please EMT Amanda@EmpowerNL.ca
Please ensure to email Amanda with dietary needs and contact information.
The last date to purchase tickets is Wednesday, November 30th.
October 10, 2022
Do you know an individual or a business that has been a rock star in the full inclusion of people with disabilities in your community? Tell us about them and all they do by nominating them for an award! Nominations for the 2022 Independent Living Awards of Newfoundland & Labrador are now open. Nominations close on Friday, November 4, 2022.
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
2022 Independent Living Awards of Newfoundland & Labrador
If you have made, or know someone, or a group who has made a significant contribution to the full inclusion of people with disabilities in community either at a local, regional, provincial or national level, tell us about it by nominating them for the 2022 Independent Living Awards.
The IL Awards are presented at our International Day of Persons with Disabilities Celebration on Friday, December 2, 2022.
The awards are:
- The Cecilia Carroll Award for Independent Living for a person with a disability, who has demonstrated a long-term and extraordinary personal commitment to the full inclusion of people with disabilities in Newfoundland and Labrador, locally or nationally. Minimum of 20 years commitment.
- The Independent Living Young Leader Award for a young person with a disability, under 30 years of age, who has raised awareness and shown outstanding leadership in promoting full inclusion of people with disabilities in Newfoundland & Labrador. Minimum of 5 years.
- The Business Award for Independent Living for a business who has displayed an innovative approach and achieved substantial outcomes in supporting full inclusion of people with disabilities in areas such as employment, transportation, housing, communication and technology.
- The Social Inclusion Award for Independent Living for a person, team, group of individuals who has worked towards a more inclusive environment by creating opportunities for people with disabilities to participate in areas such as sports, the arts, education, recreation, and the wider community. This award is for someone/group that has gone above and beyond.
Conditions of Nominating
- To nominate yourself or another person/group, please complete the Nomination Form below and submit it to Empower, The Disability Resource Centre.
- Late nominations will not be considered
- Empower employees and their immediate family cannot be nominated for an award.
- To nominate a deceased person for an award, permission must be obtained from the deceased person’s next-of-kin.
- Information submitted may be used in promotion and publicity associated with the IL Awards of Newfoundland & Labrador.
Please ensure you include the following in your nomination:
- Category under which the nomination is being made
- Name and contact information for the nominee
Privacy & Confidentiality
Personal information collected during the award process through nomination applications may be published on Empower, The Disability Resource Centre’s website or in social media promotional materials.
Nominations close on Friday, November 4, 2022
Link to Nomination Form
Call for Nominations 2022 PDF(161K)
August 31, 2022
We are hiring a Community Inclusion Facilitator in the Grand Falls-Windsor/Gander area. For more information about this job opportunity and how to apply, check out the description below or click the link at the bottom to download a PDF version of this posting.
Position: Community Inclusion Facilitator
Locations: Grand Falls-Windsor/Gander Area
Hours: $16.00/hr – 35 hrs/wk until March 31, 2023 with possibility of extension pending funding
Eligibility: These positions are for people who identify as being a person with a disability.
This position is designed to support a person with a disability who has developed skills and is job ready but faces barriers to employment. The program provides opportunity for skills enhancements and avenues for a more permanent attachment to NL’s labour market.
As a Community Inclusion Facilitator you will:
- Research gaps in services and resources and develop recommendations to address the needs of the community.
- Assist local organizations to reduce barriers at their events.
- Research Peer Support Networks in the community.
- Support persons with disabilities, deaf people and seniors in accessing online services. Provide information on resources and services available in the area.
- Provide information on adaptive technology and make referrals when necessary.
- Promote disability awareness, accessibility, and inclusion in your community.
- Maintain online contact with other facilitators and program staff.
- Provide regular reports and updates to the program manager (located in St. John’s).
The ideal candidate should have:
- A keen interest in learning more about disability awareness, independent living, and inclusion.
- A working knowledge of internet, email, online chat systems, and programs such as Zoom, Basecamp and DropBox
- willingness to learn about adaptive technology, and to support others in learning about it.
- Effective communication skills, with some comfort in speaking in small groups. Good people skills are an asset.
Submit applications in electronic format only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please state whether you identify as having a disability in your cover letter (you do not have to say which type, or any other personal information).
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
For more information on Empower, check out our website: EmpowerNL.ca
Central NL Community Inclusion Facilitator Job Posting PDF(125K)
August 10, 2022
In advance of our AGM and BBQ this Saturday, our Annual Report for the fiscal year 2021-2022 has been placed on our website.
You can view the digital copy here. Other formats will be available at the AGM and afterwards by request.
Empower’s Annual Report 2021-2022 – PDF (1,467K)
Empower Annual Report 2021-2022 – Text (84kb)
Empower Annual Report 2021-2022 – Audio (26.2MB)
July 23, 2022
Have you received services from Empower, The Disability Resource Centre from April 2021 to March 2022?
We want to hear from you. We have created a survey so you can provide us with some feedback on the services you received from Empower. Please click on the link below to answer some questions about our services.
If you would like someone to go through the survey with you please email Sierra at email@example.com or call 722-4031 and ask to speak with Sierra to set up a time.
July 23, 2022
Come join us for our Annual Barbeque and Annual General Meeting.
Date: Saturday, August 13, 2022
Time: 11am – 2pm
Doors open at 10:30 am
Location: Rotary Sunshine Park Chalet (Thorburn Road)
We will be drawing for some gift card prizes for those in attendance during the AGM.
Masks must be worn inside the chalet.
Attendance must be confirmed in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Any questions, dietary requirements or accommodations needed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
July 5, 2022
We are hiring a Housing Support Worker!
To join our team of passionate individuals dedicated to helping people with disabilities lead a fulfilling and independent life, please check out our job ad at: http://ow.ly/ueI550JOKX3
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply for jobs at Empower!
May 31, 2022
What are we looking for in a Board Director?
It is the goal of the Nominating Committee to recruit individuals interested in contributing to Empower by sharing their skills, experience and expertise in any of the following areas:
– disability and inclusion awareness
– leadership and program management
– policy development, strategic planning and implementation
– communications and media relations
– financial management/accounting/fundraising
The Nomination Committee would welcome applications from interested individuals in other regions of the province such as Labrador and the Bay St. George/Stephenville Area. Board meetings take place through online platforms which facilitates opportunities to build representation in our Board of Directors.
Board of Directors Nominations Call: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MtKeBu5FqL51kZWn26BX9ANc_InJCj8_TMvqF3x4-Wg/edit?usp=sharing
Nomination Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd5GorvW2Gs9FUWmXvWCvDAbEff0Ip-5t4PAEoNgNlxwpH1Sg/viewform