Call for Nominees to the Board of Directors 2023
July 7, 2023
Call for Nominees to the Board of Directors
Background on Empower, The Disability Resource Centre
Empower, The Disability Resource Centre is an organization controlled by people with disabilities that is committed to providing support, resources, and opportunities for empowerment that will support people with disabilities to make informed choices about their lives.
Empower, is a community based not-for-profit organization that is committed to the independence of people with disabilities and supports them by providing the information they need to become self-reliant and to make informed choices that positively influence the quality of their lives. Through a consumer-controlled, cross-disability approach to programs and services, Empower maintains and upholds the utmost respect for people’s dignity and quality of life.
During the past year, Empower delivered services across the province through the following services:
- Empower Member Services/Community Engagements
- Technology and Adapted Technology Services
- Advocacy Services
- Community Inclusion Supports
- Career Services and Entrepreneur Support
- Corporate Services
Nomination Package 2023 Annual General Meeting
The Nominating Committee, established by Empower’s Board of Directors, is responsible for recruiting individuals that possess the necessary skills and experience that match the identified needs of our organization, and complement the skill sets of our existing Directors. Each year at this time, volunteers interested in serving as Board Members are recruited. For the 2023/2024 fiscal year, it is estimated that there will be approximately three vacancies on the Board of Directors to be filled.
Roles and Expectations of the Board of Directors
- Empower, The Disability Resource Centre is a consumer-controlled organization with at least 51%of its board members being people with disabilities.
- Board members are elected by the membership
- Nominations are accepted by the Nomination Committee with a goal of achieving a balance regarding background, disability, profession, gender, and age.
- Each Director is viewed as an advisor and leader, and through their commitment and dedication,share in the organization’s abilities to achieve its mission and vision for the future.
The Board’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overall governance of the operations of Empower, The Disability Resource Centre
- The development and approval of human resource management and program policies.
- Financial and risk management oversight
What Are We Looking For In A Board Director
It is the goal of the Nominating Committee to recruit individuals interested in contributing to Empower by sharing their skills and experiences in any of the following areas:
- disability and inclusion awareness
- leadership and program management
- policy development and implementation
- communications and media relations
- financial management/accounting
Recruitment and Nomination Process
The Nominating Committee recruits volunteers to fill vacant positions on the Board of Directors and prepares a slate for presentation at the Annual General Meeting.
The Annual General Meeting will be held at 11:00 AM on Saturday,
August 19, 2023 at North Bank Lodge in Pippy Park.
All nominees are required to complete and submit a Nomination Form by 4:00 pm Friday, July 28, 2023
Individuals nominated to the Board of Directors are required to attend the Annual General Meeting and shall be given the opportunity to speak, if they chose, to their nomination for a maximum of three minutes.
Please note that nominations will not be accepted from the floor at the Annual General Meeting.