January 10, 2023
*** COMPETITION CLOSED ***
Empower is hiring a Housing Support Worker in St. John’s. For further information, see the job ad below or download the PDF from the link at the bottom.
Position: Housing Support Worker
Reporting to: Manager of Advocacy Services
Contract: Until March 31, 2023 with possibility of extension, pending funding.
Empower, The Disability Resource Centre, is an organization committed to providing supports, resources, and opportunities for empowerment, which enable persons with disabilities to make informed choices about their lives. Empower, the Disability Resource Centre is hiring a Housing Support Worker (HSW) to provide support to people with disabilities identified through the End Homelessness St. John’s (EHSJ) Coordinated Access to Homes table. The HSW will support people with disabilities who are experiencing homelessness and assist them in securing safe, affordable, and accessible housing.
- Knowledge of working with people with cross disabilities
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team
- Ability to think quickly and creatively to solve problems
- Strong knowledge of community and government services and resources
- Ability to maintain professionalism including respecting personal and professional boundaries
- Strong crisis intervention, counseling, and advocacy skills
- Assess individual needs and connect them to appropriate internal and external supports
- Liaise with landlords, community and government agencies to search for housing that meets individual’s specific needs
- Advocate with other service providers and maintain collaborative working relationships
- Conduct home visits to ensure individuals needs are being met
- Support people through the Residential Tenancies process to ensure successful tenancies
- Maintain case files and documentation including data collection and reports
- Maintain privacy and confidentiality
- Participate in meetings and professional development opportunities in collaboration with EHSJ
- Degree or diploma in social services, social work or equivalent experience
- Previous experience working with people with disabilities that are experiencing homelessness or who have challenges in obtaining and maintaining housing
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Records check is required
- Vehicle is required. Ability to transport individuals in vehicle is required
- Mental Health First Aid and/or ASIST training would be considered an asset
Hours of Work:
This position will work 37.5 hours per week. This position may require flexibility in work hours and ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
Annual salary of $50,000.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Joby Fleming, Manager of Advocacy Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
Empower is an equal and equitable employer that promotes full inclusion in employment practices.